Black or striped bass filets, skin removed, cut into 3oz pieces
1 bunch Basil, picked (3 sprigs mint, picked)
30g (2 Tbsp) Chives, minced
Blood Orange, segmented 1 each
Braise (recipe below)
Fish Seasoning (recipe below)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil to finish
Salt to taste
6g (1 1/2 tsp) Fennel Seed
6g (1 1/2 tsp) Coriander
3g (1 1/2 tsp) Tomato Powder
3g (1 1/2 tsp) Sweet Paprika Grind all into a powder
525g (4 1/4 cups) Red Bell Pepper, ribs removed, ¼” julienne
110g (1/2 cup) Extra Virgin Olive Oil
75g (1/3 cup) Tomato Paste
43g (3 Tbsp) Garlic, Sliced thin
39g (2 1/2 Tbsp) Fresh Red Chili, sliced and deseeded
29g (2 Tbsp) Parsley, chopped
31g (2 Tbsp) Red Wine Vinegar
9g (1/2 Tbsp) Salt
350g (1 1/2 cups) Carbone Marinara
70g (2/3 cup) Water
35g (2 1/2 Tbsp) Lemon Juice 35g (2 1/2 Tbsp) Orange Juice
1. In 75g of olive oil, sweat the garlic first, until translucent. Then add the peppers, chili and salt and stew until tender but not overly cooked. The pepper skins should not detach from the flesh.
2. Add the tomato paste and toast lightly.
3. Transfer into a bowl over ice and fold in the parsley, followed by the red wine vinegar tomato sauce, water, juices, and remaining olive oil.
4. Transfer to a casserole large enough to hold the fish in a single layer and warm the braise over medium heat until it comes to a low simmer.
5. Season the fish with salt and the seasoning blend. Nestle into the braise along with the orange segments and place into a 350F oven and bake until the fish is cooked through. Garnish with the herbs and finish with Extra Virgin olive oil.